Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Resin plinths

Hi fellow painters and hobbyists!

I needed some new plinths and I decided to pick up some resin ones from Model Display Products. I usually use wooden plinths but the price and nice looks won me over to try them out!


The plinths are cast in the white/creme colored resin. There is a sticker on the packages warning buyers of the potential damage resin can do to your health. It is important to wear gloves, protective goggles, and more importantly a respirator mask when sanding, drilling and cutting resin products.


The plinths are textured as if they are wooden plinths so if you are a good painter, you can make them look like actual wooden plinths. If you are not that confident about your painting skills, a simple gloss, satin or matte black coat will get a long way.



So don't these resin plinths have any downsides? Then why are people still buying wooden plinths? Well, they do. First and most obvious is that you need to paint them yourself. Some people would also see the lack of individuality as a downside. For me, the downside is the fact that they need some work before you can use them as a plinth for your projects. They sometimes have airbubbles that need to be filled and sanded down, occasionally they bottom needs to be sanded flush, and you need to prime and paint them.


Conclusion:
All and all I think they are very good for what you have to pay for them. I do think it would be better if the foot would be sanded a little better after casting, but other than that, I think I will enjoy using resin plinths.

What kind of plinths do you use and why? Feel free to discuss it in the comment section.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment